Saturday, August 2, 2008

Preseason Cross Tune Up on the Curtlo

I have to work today still (I am not looking forward to it as there is a huge sale today) and so I will still ride another 26 miles today on the road bike, but I got out this morning and headed out to Forest Park and rode up and down Springville road a few times. The Curtlo Cross felt great. I need to tighten up the brakes just a bit, but other than that everything is running smooth. No sign of the "tick, tick.....tick, tick.....tick, tick....." that was there when I had the 53 tooth on instead of the 39. That was the biggest relief of all. I will probably pick up a 42 tooth soon--mostly to shut Brian up. He seems to think that the 42t is a magical ring size for some reason. Last year I wasn't strong enough to use one. I am in better shape this season so I would think I could run it....we'll see.

By the way, descending with cross tubulars is sooo much better than with cross-sized clinchers. No pinch flats. Softer feel. Better traction--at least in my limited experience so far. It was so easy to go fast.

Here is the current Curtlo setup for the season:

Curtlo S3/OX Platinum Frame
Alpha Q CX Carbon fork
Dura Ace 9 Speed bar end shifter--right side only
Kelly Take Off to mount the bar end shifter
Chris King Headset
Paul Neo Retro Brakes
Campagnolo Record carbon drop bar Brake levers
Ritchey WCS 4 Axis Stem (not the carbon one)
Ritchey WCS drop bar 44cm wide
Thomson Masterpiece no offset seatpost
Pro CARBON Pure Carbon and Ti saddle (130 grams of masochistic pleasure)
XTR rear derailleur
XTR 11/34 cassette
Campagnolo Record Carbon cranks (NOT Ultra Torque)
39t chainring (will probably swap to 42)
42t Chainguard
Campagnolo Chorus bottom bracket
Crank Bros. Eggbeater SL pedals
Mavic Ksyrium ES tubular wheelset
Tufo Flexus tires

Spare wheelset is a DT 240 Wheelset with Michelin Mud 2 tires

1 comment:

Brianero said...

Get a 42, you moron. Custer cross practice starts this week and I'll send you an email with specifics. Been out backpacking in the N Cascades for the last week and I'm absolutely knackered.