Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Random Thoughts from Black Butte Ranch

Growing out my facial hair. Hate this 2 week old stage, it's itchy and ugly.

Found out that 30 to 32 lbs of pressure is too low to take my tubeless 'cross wheel on a trail filled with sharp edged volcanic rocks. It could have been ugly.

Realized that being alone in a cabin with only my iPhone is very boring. Better than being alone with just the TV though.

I also realized that owning deep rim carbon wheels for cyclocross is stupid. Yet I have a set....I am a sucker for cool wheels.

I won't even bring up my non-deep rim carbon wheels...

Must....not....get....addicted....to....Facebook

I ate a high calorie fatty mexican food lunch. It was almost too much for me. I really felt nauseated for eating too much of the wrong kind of food. After a couple of months eating fairly well, I think my body went into shock for a bit.

My Curtlo is fast....

I am not...at least not compared to where I want to be.

I saw an older gentleman with his shirt sticking out of the fly of his pants. Could have been worse...

I sent of application materials for a federal job in D.C. I both hope I do and hope I don't get it. If they have a decent 'cross series that would go a long way towards tempting me. Odds are long though...

Thinking of doing the Race Across Oregon. It would be a relay. You ride all out for 15 minutes and then pass off to the next teammate. There are 4 guys on a team. It takes well over 40 hours of continuous riding by the relay team to finish. Sounds sort of crazy. But possible. Neil is the one egging me on to do it. History has shown the I can be egged...

I know I wrote basically that carbon wheels are for suckers, but dang as I set here looking at a set with some brand new tires on them I sort start to drool. Something about knobby tires on carbon gets me going....I need help I think.

Ok, enough is enough....

3 comments:

jimbo said...

carbon wheels are bling! I lust after them, where I ask you, is there more a deserving place for carbon wheels than cross?
my cross bikes beg me for them......

Brianero had his Easton's on @ practice last night....
There is something insanely cool, unexplainable bout carbon wheels with knobbies glued on, it's magical.

If you get that DC job, does that mean ButtahCup expands to the East Coast.......

Katie at Black Butte Ranch said...

Mr. Flynn - look on the bright side - at least you're at Black Butte Ranch. This place should be declared a National Park (where is John Muir when you need him?). Enjoy!
P.S. Do those fancy wheels work in the snow?

Mr. Flynn said...

Yes, BBR is awesome, just wish the family was here.

And yes carbon wheels look awesome, but I don't think the 50 mm or deeper ones are not necessary in 90% of the races. I still love the look though. I think my Easton ec90slx wheelios are perfect. Maybe those 32 or 36 mm deep Easton will be the new ideal