Sunday, September 21, 2008

More non-training, non-racing randomness

First off, I would like to thank everyone who by simply clicking on the Adsense ad--not even buying anything either--has helped to bulk up my retirement fund. Freakin' huge! I am now earning more than a penny a day!

I am not expecting to make any money. I am very impressed that I have this much money built up. Seriously, I am grateful to everyone that comes to this silly blog.

________________________________
Brian emails me and said that his he started a new routine for cyclocross that included yoga. And he also related that this new routine caused him to hurt a bit during the Double Cross races this past weekend. I guess it was a one step back so that later he could go forward a couple of steps.

So...what is up with doing yoga for cyclocross? Enough people do it that there must be some benefit, but...

So is there just one sort of yoga? Or is there a cyclocross specific sort of yoga that would be good? Or should I just go outside and do it in the rain? I see all sort of yoga videos in the store, should I just pop one of those in and give it a go? Somehow I doubt those are the ideal.

________________________________
Goals for the week:

#1) Not to get sick. I am sort of feeling under the weather today--a bit achy. If I get sick I am going to pummel Joel at work. He came back to work after being sick last week and he was hacking up all sorts of stuff. Who knows what foulness he had, but if I get I am going to be ticked.

#2) Assuming #1 holds, I plan on running on tuesday and thursday. Bike on Wednesday and Saturday. I may go swimming on Friday.

#3) Help out the wife with the boys so that she too can exercise. She did a couple of triathlons last year and she would like to do more next year, including a half marathon at the Hippie Chick race. Having only given birth a couple of weekends ago to our little boy, Colin, she needs an outlet besides nursing and trying to grab what little sleep she can.

#4) Contact 3 new people in my search for a legal gig. Apply to 2 jobs. In fact, this whole job thing has affected my cross season already. I was planning on doing the Veloshop race this coming Saturday, but I was invited to go on a group ride and there are people riding there that are both friends and may know people that may know people that could aid in getting a job. And besides I could use more friends around here to ride with. I have been trying to do a ride with these guys for a while so when it finally came to fruitition I figured I should go, despite my plans to race. That said, if it had been a Cross Crusade race that I had been planning on doing I might have passed on the group ride.

The only sad part is that I think this course for the Veloshop race would have been a good one for me--I think the flyer read relatively flat course. As a bigger guy, that is a good thing. Give the hardest, sloppiest, technical courses, I love 'em. But a course with lots of hills is going to mean a lot of suffering and being passed more than usual.

Oh, and I am trying to get Mr. Spears to give a race report from the Double Cross races. I am hoping to get something more than: "Felt better but still sucked."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

>So is there just one sort of yoga? Or is there a cyclocross specific sort of yoga that would be good? Or should I just go outside and do it in the rain? I see all sort of yoga videos in the store, should I just pop one of those in and give it a go? Somehow I doubt those are the ideal.

Yoga is all about core strength, especially if you do a lot of back-bending routines. If you build up your core and back strength, shouldering the bike becomes MUCH less painful. You will have more energy when the mud becomes especially peanut-buttery and you must use every available muscle to get your bike through it. Which translates into you passing other people as they become bogged down and exhausted those last few laps.

Most of the yoga I do is from DVDs...I rotate a bunch of them. Nothing wrong with them--IF you have previous experience with a teacher. Beginners generally aren't aware of their body position and how subtle the poses are. Moving your hips 1/2 an inch can make the difference. I would recommend a series of classes with a teacher who walks around and corrects positions to make sure you're doing it properly before using DVDs.

Mr. Flynn said...

hmmm...sounds embarrassing to go in front of others and show off how totally unflexible I am. Still, I may look into it.