Saturday, May 3, 2008

Still getting the kinks out

I rode today just for a bit. I haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately for a variety of reasons and I have been feeling worn out. Especially yesterday. Today I slept in and then just rode to work. I took the Fuji out as I am still trying to get it dialed in.

I have found that if I just don't look too far down the road my neck feels OK. But that is hard not to do when I am riding in traffic. If I just tilt my head at about a 45 degree angle so that I see only about 25 feet down the road I am fine. During the Vikingman this should be acceptable. Still I would like to dial it in further. Compared to yesterday's ride, I put in the spacers under the arm rests and tilted the aero bars slightly up and slid them closer to me. This was a big help. I am thinking I would like to be just a bit higher at the armrest, but in order to do this I need to get another stem. So I will probably see if I can find one somewhere that will work.

In reality I would rather just ride a regular road bike with regular ol' dropbars. This TT stuff is a pain in the butt to get right. Small little changes are a bit deal. I tilted my saddle down just a bit too, and all of a sudden amazing how much more comfortable that area was down there. The whole thing is foreign, set-up wise at least. I know I have the bike in the right ballpark at least. I am just not sure about riding in that aero position for 50+ miles. My arms and shoulders just not used to carrying the load this way. I wish I had some exercises or something to help. In the absense of this I am just planning on riding the Fuji until the Vikingman, and doing it in the aero position for as much of that time as possible. This way, I can get used to it and continue to fine time the bike.

No comments: