Monday, March 30, 2009

Swim Class Day One

Easy Peasy.

Warm up.

16 25's 45 seconds each

8 50's 1:15 each

4 100's 2:15 each


He started up with an easy day to see where we were all at. He asked me if I had been in the pool since my last class ended 6 months ago. I said "Nope!" Then he asked what event I was doing, "Are you doing another Half Iron?"

"Yep."

Coach smirks and shakes his head. Cause he knows and I know I have been procrastinating the day of my return to the pool. He knows I am not the biggest swim fan. Anyway, so it begins.

I was able to swim each length of the pool between 25 and 30 seconds regardless of whether the total length was 25, 50 or 100 yards. However, when you have at least 15 seconds and once nearly 30 seconds in between each 25, 50 or 100 yard interval that isn't too hard.

My right shoulder pops occasionally while I extend, which means I am weak. My stroke is coming back quickly otherwise. Not that it is a great stroke, but it is much better than it was a year and a half ago. Hopefully my endurance will comeback quickly.

After the swim I went to 24 Hour fitness where I began a 7 day trail membership. I ran 4.5 miles in 42:30. Including a warm up, but almost no cool down because I had to get going to work. My last 2 miles were at a 7.3 mph pace. HR was at 170-172. Not a great place to train for a long triathlon, but I wanted to hit my mileage goal before I left for work. I felt great all day. No soreness. I had a pretty good amount of energy all day, too. It is weird how that works. I worked out for a total of an hour and a half, but I felt better than I did yesterday when I did nothing at all.

I really feel strong. I think I am nearing the sort of shape I was in when I did the Scoggins Valley Triathlon (sprint distance) last August. At that race I beat my previous time on the same course the year prior by 13 or 14 minutes. I still need to lose some weight, but I feel pretty fit. I like it. Not that I don't have days when the legs are rubber or dead, but overall--things are going nicely and I feel more confident that I won't die (literally) at Ironman Boise 70.3.

No comments: