Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Retail Blows

I really like riding home after work. That is I like the feeling of arrive home on my bike after riding home from work. I feel a bit tired, it is a good workout and having ridden 13 miles to work and then the 13 miles home is a decent workout for a day when added together. I usually really try to push it when I ride home since I am not worried about sweating too much and then having to work stinky. Today though I rode to work as fast as I could because I was just sort of feelin' it. Plus, it was a cool morning so the ride was not going to make me sweat too much even pushing hard. I don't know how long it took me to get to work, but I held gears while going up a few hills that I have never been able to hold before. It felt great. I arrived at work in a great mood.

Then the job just started bringing me down. We were pretty busy and we didn't actually get the last person out of the store until 9:20 PM--we close at 8:00 PM. Staying that late to help sell $400 bikes is not my idea of fun. Riding home that late is also not on that list of fun things to do, so I had Bridget come get me. She came and picked my up last night too--which also bummed me out. It was raining and I didn't have my fenders, and I wouldn't have been able to leave until after 9PM as well because we were similarly busy. Maybe I am just a wuss, but I don't really feel like riding home that late when I have spent 10 hours at the shop. The darkness at that hour doesn't bug me, it is the lateness that does. Oh yeah, and riding in the rain when it is not cross season, but the middle of summer sort of bugs as well.

On the upside out store did a heck of a lot of business so the ones who do actually care about that sort of thing will be very pleased.

Anyway, I sit here now in my pj's feeling like I missed something because I didn't ride home. My day feels incomplete. Tomorrow I will try and get in an extra ride to make up for it.

Oh, and on a different topic I swam 100 yards as fast as I could at the end of an easy swim class session. My time was just a hair over 1 minute and 40 seconds. That freaking rocks. If only I could do that for longer.

No comments: