Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Swim Class: Day 2

Here is today's work out as best I can remember:

warm up
8 x 25 @ 50 sec ea.
4 x 50 @ 1:40 ea.
2 x 100 @ 3:00 ea.
4 x 50 @ 1:30 ea.
8 x 25 @ 0:45 ea.
8 x 25 low stroke workout
6 x 25 kick double speed

During the 100's I found I was going too fast and during the 50-75 yard section I had to pause mid swim to catch a breath. Mostly, it was out of panic. I felt like I could only get about half the breath I needed. Basically I was going too fast and wasn't pacing myself properly. I gotta stop racing myself every time. Early on I was swimming the 25's at a sub 30 second pace. That was fine since at the end of the length I stil had 20 seconds until the beginning of the next length. But when I did that without the rest I wasn't fit to do it.

I quite liked the low stroke count exercise. I can do 25 yards with 17 or 18 strokes. I think this is pretty good for a beginning. I caught up the chick in front of me, which was nice.

There was a new guy there who swims worse than me, but the dude is really strong. His stroke was really ugly and his head was pretty much out of the water all of the time until the instructor took him aside to teach him a couple of things. But he was as fast as any of us in the beginner section of the class. The guy has a huge upper body and he was really pushing himself. When he got out of the pool at the end of the class he said he felt like he swallowed half the pool.

No comments: