Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Intermission: Jackass Tri-Guy

I am taking a break from relating what went on at the Boise Ironman 70.3 to relate a quick story from today. I didn't have a competitive time last Saturday. I get it. I sucked during the swim. I didn't have a good bike, and my run was not superfast, although I did take it sort of easy for 2 of the last 3 miles. In all, the more I have thought about the race, the more bugged I have become.

Anyway, this guy comes in who is obviously in great shape, even if his results are not as good as he seems to think they are. He placed 100th in a sprint triathlon he did over the weekend. He asked how I did in the swim and when I told him he rolled his eyes at me. "You need to spend some time in the pool." I said, "No, I need to spend some time in the lake." I can swim at a decent speed, it is swimming in open water that freaks me out.

"How was your run?" he asked. A little slower than I planned but better than the year before I told him.

What was your total time? I told him it was over 6 hours. He looked at me as if I am was a total loser. Well, my time sucked but geesh, it is not like everyone can even finish one of these.

Perhaps it is just my insecurity that blew things a little out of proportion. Maybe. But he is still a dork. These type of Tri geeks are ridiculous. He was around 100th out of 600 at rinky-dink Blue Lake Triathlon. Sprint distance. 1/2 mile swim, 13 mile bike and 5K run. A pansy triathlon. Whoo-hoo. I was 937th out of 1188 in a triathlon with pros from all over the world and went roughly 4 times the distance. I suck, but at least I was out of the kiddie pool, so to speak. Anyway, that is what I have told myself to sooth my injured pride.

So, yes this guy got to me. Before it he happened along I had already called Fish to say that I needed to try it again next year. I didn't feel like I could walk away from this yet. I don't want to do it again really, but I feel I must. I need to have a good race. If I can chop about 20 minutes to 30 minutes off my time I would feel much better.

I told Bridget on Sunday on the drive back home that I was done with these things for a couple of years. This afternoon, before I called Fish, I called Bridget and told here I had bad news. When she asked what it was, I told her that I had to do this all over again next year. She didn't give me too much trouble. At least I will have another year where I won't be getting fatter.

No comments: